Friday, February 1, 2008

"I am authentic / I'm authenticity..."

Was just discussing music of the 90s with a friend. I wonder what images of the 90s people will retain fifty years from now. I hope it's not the same set of associations that we, having so recently moved on, retain from various decade-in-review lists, the sort that haunt the back sections of high school yearbooks and popular news publications. The worst are those in quiz format under the heading "you know you were a child of the 90s if...", all tracing their lineage back to the half-baked, half-digested body of factoids that will find their way into VH1 specials for years to come. This is not my 90s, but what is? I wonder if it will become harder to produce meaningful history as long as corporate media dominates the cultural landscape.

An apology is in order to anyone who has sent me emails/ Facebook messages/ or blog comments over the past week+. I still haven't had enough time to produce proper replies, but it will happen today or tomorrow. On the reading list for this weekend is Richard III, some Kant, and Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon. I dropped Sociolinguistics because I didn't want to be in it anymore. That makes this the first semester during which I'm enjoying -all- my classes. No more linguistics major but more time next year to take whatever I want = profit?

Finally, in keeping with my unattenuated loathing of corporate news, I'd like to point you to An Extensive History of Terrible CNN.com Headlines. Laugh or cry, as long as it helps you get through the day.

No comments: