Thursday, May 29, 2008

Lebensraum

G. has departed for Germany and I have a job interview tomorrow. I've been supplementing my academic reading with Woolf's Orlando. Still no fresh tea at the house, but maybe that will change soon.

I've been trying to cultivate what I call (to myself) "philosophical domesticity." Domesticity has a bad reputation as being bourgeoisie and boring--much better to be a 21st century beatnik and not clean up your dirty clothes--but the activities that go into maintaining one's living space have tremendous potential as a space in which to express one's values and draw nearer to attaining self-actualization. Granted, not everyone needs or wants this--good for you if you don't. But a house is the perfect place to implement aesthetic ideals or sustainable practices if these things are important to you. They are often impossible to fully realize in a space shared with more than one or two roommates. Of course, domesticity should always be a means, not an end. Space should serve a purpose, not exist for its own sake. That said, I think that many people could benefit from closer attention to their material existence, and its alignment (or non-alignment) with one's social identity.

If that was too stuffy, let me counter it by saying I'll be having a party in the near future if I get this job. Beer! I'll Facebook if it's a go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm really glad you added that last part. i don't know what i would have thought of you otherwise. Kind of reminds me of those Red Stripe commercials where the guy is always like "Hooray Beer!" I love those commercials.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of minimalism in regards to furnishing a dwelling?

Aaron said...

It’s hard to say. I very much like the idea of minimalism; at the same time, I’m drawn to the image of a shadowy room carved out by warm pools of light, cluttered with books and teacups and a computer and plants by the window, etc. I like to think that it would be possible to combine the two (if not mix, then have them coexist in adjacent spaces). Ultimately, the ideas used to organize a space should be in harmony (or productive disharmony) with the person occupying it. If you think that minimalism might appeal to you, you should explore that.

Incidentally, this is what Okakura Kakuzō says about decorating a tea room (from The Book of Tea):

The term, Abode of Vacancy, besides conveying the Taoist theory of the all-containing, involves the conception of a continued need of change in decorative motives. The tea room is absolutely empty, except for what may be placed there temporarily to satisfy some aesthetic mood. Some special art object is brought in for the occasion, and everything else is selected and arranged to enhance the beauty of the principal theme. One cannot listen to different pieces of music at the same time, a real comprehension of the beautiful being possibly only through concentration upon some central motive.

And finally, Red Stripe is a fine brew. I do encourage you to try it.