Sunday, June 8, 2008

There's a fish in the percolator

The Time Warner folks were supposed to set up the internet at my house yesterday, but this has been delayed until Monday. It's very much an empty house right now. The roomates are still in Europe, and when you've spent four years avoiding socialization because you have studying to do, well, it's hard to find anything to do besides study. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy solitude. Rilke had some very nice things to say about it. But, his poetry is better than mine.

It's hard to be introspective on the internet. I don't want to write anything that I would laugh at if I didn't know it were my own. At the same time, it wouldn't do to devote this space wholly to intellectual piddling and half-hearted stabs at wit. I realize that the creation of a persona with which to present oneself in a specific context is a social convention, perhaps even an expectation, but it's not something that interests me in the slightest. If I'm to maintain a presence on the internet, I want it to represent, as honestly as possible, something like my whole existence (not all of it, but a representative sample). Nevertheless, these personal excursions look very out of place next to literary or philosophical speculations. I could split this into two journals, but my # of posts/ # of readers wouldn't seem to justify that. Then again, if this is mostly for me, that shouldn't matter...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hm. You know, two blogs might not be a bad idea. In fact, having two places instead of one to represent yourself might even create more of a motivation to do so. I dunno, I suppose you would have to judge that one... but if it were me, I would totally go for it. I don't think the number of readers you have should dictate anything you do with your blogging, really, unless you're answering/responding to something. But then again, different people certainly have blogs for different reasons. I suppose, in the end, it really just all boils down to how much personal excursion you want to write about. If there's enough there to be its own separate entity (and I don't really think there couldn't be), then perhaps it should be so.

Well, anyway, there's Mariel and I. You have at least two readers for sure. :D