Thursday, January 3, 2008

Objects (2/6)

This is my green teapot. Those of you who know me know that I'm interested in tea. In my opinion, a night without tea, coffee, or beer is lacking--though I never mix them. However, it's not the taste of tea that appeals to me. I enjoy the process of making it more than I do drinking it. Filling the kettle with water, measuring out the tea leaves, and watching the vapor rise from the pot and cup are tremendously relaxing activites. It's important to be familiar with the teapot and cups that you use to prepare tea because you need to know how much they hold in relation to one another, and how to tell the temperature of the liquid by touching them. It's also important that the aesthetic qualities of the objects contribute to making the preparation of tea an enjoyable experience. If I were to get another teapot, I would have to re-learn all these things. I enjoy the sense of familiarity that I've developed with this teapot, and if I were the type of person to give inanimate objects names, I would call it Lars. I'm not, though.

2 comments:

Mariel said...

That's a nice picture, sir.

Aaron said...

Thank you kindly, ma'am. It took a little positioning, but I think it came out ok.