Sunday, January 13, 2008

Objects (4/6)

These gloves are (unfortunately) the only handmade items on my list (except perhaps for my teapot, whose exact method of manufacture eludes me). They also happen to have been tailored for me specifically. Because of this, and because of their impeccable craftsmanship, they exemplify the economic, philosophical, and psychological principles that I believe we should look for in every object. I had not worn gloves for a long time before this winter, and I forgot how completely effective they are at keeping one's hands warm in cold weather. For some reason, I would look at knitted gloves and have some vague idea about the cold wind blowing through the holes in the knit--indeed, this is not the case at all, and these gloves kept my hands warm even while riding my bike. Their most distinctive feature is of course the openings for the first three fingers on the right glove. According to the pattern that Gloria used, this innovation originally served so that the pattern maker's husband could smoke cigars. Having those fingers exposed, however, turns out to be useful for any number of things, and even as a non-smoker I find the tradeoff between finger temperature and utility to be favorable. As you can see in the photo below, my cat Halloween also really likes them. She enjoys it when I pet her in them, and I appreciate the protection they afford when she decides to bite.

1 comment:

No Thanks said...

My gloves are an internet sensation!