Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Objects (5/6)

This object I've decided not to photograph. It's book that was given to me under special circumstances; out of everything I own, I value it the most. I deem it more than a piece of media because of the various memories I associate with it, the unlikelihood of my ever finding a similar edition, and its content. Unlike many of the other objects I've listed, the book's value does not lie in its immediate aesthetic or functional appeal (though I do like having it near), but in the fact that it symbolizes a certain set of values and purposes that I find integral to my identity. These things would remain even if the book were gone, but I feel that locating them materially can be a positive thing--of course, one must prepare oneself for loss, accidental or inevitable, but this extends to all things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello. would you like to be blogspot friends?